Hospital Statistics Basic Formulae
Formulas for commonly computed healthcare rates and percentages used on the RHIT and RHIA examination
The basic formula for calculating rates is the number of times something actually happened/the number of times it
could have happened.
Measures of Central Tendency
( ) =
The midpoint (center) of the distribution of values, or the point above and below which 50 percent of the values fall .
The median is a data point on the number line.
The value that occurs most frequently in the data. The mode appears as a data point on the number line.
Σ(X − �̅�)2
∑( X − x̄)
(N − 1)
Average Daily Census:
Average Daily Newborn Census:
Average Daily Census for a Patient Care Unit:
Bed Occupancy Ratio:
ℎ ( × ℎ )
Newborn Bassinet Occupancy Ratio:
Bed Turnover Rate:
ℎ ( ℎ )
Length of Stay
Average Length of Stay:
ℎ ( ℎ )
ℎ ( ℎ )
Average Newborn Length of Stay:
ℎ ( ℎ )
Gross (Hospital) Death Rate:
ℎ ( )
ℎ ( & ℎ ) ℎ
Net Death Rate/Institutional Death Rate:
ℎ ( ) ℎ < 48 ℎ ℎ ( ℎ ) ℎ < 48 ℎ ℎ × 100 Postoperative Death Rate: ℎ ( ℎ 10 ) ℎ ℎ × 100 Anesthesia Death Rate: ℎ ℎ ℎ × 100 Maternal Death Rate: ℎ ℎ ( ℎ ) ℎ × 100 Newborn Mortality Rate: ℎ ℎ ( ℎ ) ℎ × 100 Vital Statistics—Newborn Neonatal Mortality Rate: ℎ ℎ ℎ × 1,000 Infant Mortality Rate: ℎ ( ) ℎ ℎ × 1,000 Fetal Death Rate: ⁄ ℎ ℎ + ℎ ℎ × 100 Cancer Mortality Rate: ℎ × 100 Autopsy Rates Gross Autopsy Rate: ℎ ℎ ℎ × 100 Net Autopsy Rate: ℎ ℎ − ′ ′ × 100 Adjusted Hospital Autopsy Rate: ℎ ℎ ℎ ℎ × 100 Newborn Autopsy Rate: ℎ ℎ × 100 Fetal Autopsy Rate: ℎ ℎ ℎ × 100 Morbidity and Miscellaneous Infection Rate: ℎ ( ℎ ) ℎ × 100 Postoperative Infection Rate: ℎ × 100 Cesarean Section Rate: − ℎ ( − ) × 100 Consultation Rate: ℎ × 100 HIM Department Statistics Completed Work: = − Labor Productivity: = Case-Mix Index: ℎ ℎ − ℎ ℎ
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.